Old Fort Parker Historical Site is a reconstructed fort that pays tribute to the Parker family and other pioneers who came here and paid a high price to settle in this area. The Parkers and other members of their group came to Texas from Crawford County Illinois in 1833. Daniel Parker, a theologian gained permission to come to Texas. The group organized and came here to start a Predestinarian Baptist Church. They left Illinois in July 1833 in ox drawn wagons. Daniel and some of the group settled in what is now Elkhart, Tx. Elder John Parker and the rest of the group arrived here in December 1833. They cleared land and constructed Parker's Fort. On the morning of May 19th, 1836, while most of the men were out working in the fields, the Indians came and attacked the Fort. Five were killed, five were taken captive and 21 escaped and traveled to Fort Houston near what is now Palestine, Tx. The most famous of the captives was Cynthia Ann Parker who was 9 at the time. She grew up with the Commanche and married a chief, Peta Nocona. They had three children, the most famous of which was Quannah Parker.