The History of Old Fort Parker
In 1832, Daniel Parker, a staunch theologian, had gained permission to settle in Texas. After organizing those who wanted to go, including joining into the Predestinarian Baptist Church, they left Illinois in July of 1833 in ox-drawn wagons. Daniel and the majority of his followers settled near the present city of Elkhart, where a replica of their Pilgrim Baptist Church still stands in their memory.
Other members of the group preferred to settle farther west, near the Navasota River. Elder John Parker and three of his sons, Silas, James, and Benjamin, began in December of 1833 to clear land and to construct "Parker's Fort."