Old Fort Parker Historical Society
Living History Days
Old Fort Parker Historic Site
866 Park Road 35
Groesbeck, TX 76642
PLEASE DISTRIBUTE TO ALL THE TEACHERS
Old Fort Parker will have its annual “Christmas at the Fort” celebration from
December 10th-11th Student days will be Thursday, December 10th
and Friday, December 11th 2020.
The celebration will span the historical era from 1800 to 1900. There will be re-enactors representing the pre-1840’s, Buck skinners, Soldiers, Pirates, Gunslingers as well as Native American Indians. There will also be demonstrations of pioneer skills and musical entertainment. Some of the traders will be open for business and will have many items priced appropriately for the students so they can shop while they are here. Also a food booth will be open. Or you may bring a sack lunch or purchase the $3 hot dog meal.
The entrance fee is a $1.00 donation to go towards the upkeep of Old Fort Parker.
Please plan to bring at least one adult for every ten students. You will be asked to keep your students together in small groups and walk them through the different areas. This can be a very enjoyable learning experience. The re-enactors are very knowledgeable about the 1800’s to 1900’s, so please encourage your students to ask questions. The re-enactors can tell you what was worn, what was eaten, and about their pastimes.
Please contact Old Fort Parker at 254-729-5253 WED-SUN to make your reservations, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is only space for 3000 students so we encourage you to make your reservations early.
I have enclosed some information about Old Fort Parker. Please prepare your students for a visit to the past. Your visit to this historic site of Texas history is eagerly anticipated.
Karmen Hoffpauir, Society President & School Chairperson Christmas at the Fort.
Sarah McReynolds, Reservation Chairman & Fort Director
- S. This year, for your convenience, we have student lunches for sale at $3.00 each. They will include a hot dog, chips, cookies and a drink. So when you make your reservations, please let us know how many lunches we need to prepare. Or remember to bring a sack lunch. Thanks so much.
CHRISTMAS AT THE FORT
RULES AND REQUESTS
- Stay with your group. (No more than 10 students per teacher or adult.)
- Be sure to see all of the time periods represented. Ongoing demonstrations will be taking place both inside the fort and outside the fort in Trader’s Village.
- You may shop and visit with the traders and other vendors who are open for Many items are priced in the $.50 to $1.00 range so the younger children can also shop for souvenirs and gifts. The Old Fort Parker Gift Shop is also available in the Visitor’s Center.
- Please stay out of the personal camp sites. These are homes to the buck skinners and others, and may contain many personal items that are not for display.
- Be sure to visit with the Native Americans of several tribes who will be present to answer your questions_
- There are a few picnic tables at the east end of the fort, as well as many shaded areas near the old spring where your students can eat their picnic lunches. Some food vendors will also be open.
- Restrooms are located inside the fort on the south side_ Port-a-potty’s are located throughout the area and there are restrooms inside the visitor’s center.
- Please place all trash in receptacles provided.
- For any emergencies, please go to the Visitor’s Center for any assistance including a telephone
PLEASE HAVE YOUR MONEY AND A HEAD COUNT READY.
YOU MAY PAY THE ATTENDANT AT THE GATE ONCE YOU HAVE
PARKED YOUR BUS.
Please bring your students for these wonderful days of Texas History.
Old Fort Parker is a nonprofit organization trying to keep the old historic site open
and the school children of Texas have helped for many years. Because of this
celebration and all the help from the school children of Texas, we were able to get a
Visitor Center to add new life to a dying site. There is a plaque on the building
thanking the children for helping make all of this possible. Please take the time
when you visit to show the children and thank them for helping Old Fort Parker.